Case Studies

Pigs Farming with Sawdust on the Floor

China
Country:
China
Category:
Animal Husbandry
Tag:
Low Cost, Bokashi
Pigs Farming with Sawdust on the Floor

Farm in China has the answer: Best Method to Grow Pigs

The Shanxi Detianyuan Agricultural Technology Development Co., Ltd. has developed a sustainable and eco-friendly pig farming using sawdust fermented with Activated EM・1 for bedding, and found excellent results.
 
They use 10 to 20 pigpens of approximately 23-46㎡ per house and grow 500,000 heads per year.
 
They discovered the best method to grow pigs, reducing the use of antibiotics and at the same time reducing cost and manpower as described below:
 

Making bedding

Pigs live on bedding which are made with 90% fermented product (mixture of wood chips, straw, rice hulls, grain bran, tree leaves etc) and 10% soil, without any chemical fertilizers or pesticides, and a bit of coarse salt.

Management

In order to keep pigs' environment healthier, they carefully manage the following points;

*Density of Pigs
*Moisture of the fermented bed: If the surface of the fermented bed is too dry, it is better to spray and keep the surface moisture.
 
*Parasite Prevention: Treatment of parasite prevention must be applied before setting the pigs into the houses to prevent infections to others pigs.

*Control of fermentation process: Supervision of the fermentation from time to time to adjust EM dose and reach the best condition, and spraying Activated EM・1 on regular basis.
 
*Control of feed: The amount of fee should be reduced, to to stimulate pigs to eat the mycelia protein from the bedding. Activated EM・1 is added to their drinking water and EM bokashi to their feed.
 
*Control of excretion: Digging a pit in the bedding for excretion and spray with Activated EM・1, it will decompose the matter and convert into organic fertilizer.
 
*No antibiotics: No antibiotics are used in this method.
 

Results

1. Considerable reduction of foul odors.                          
2. Medical cost: Medicine demand decreased saving US$5-6 per pig.
3. Water saving: Cleaning of houses no more needed so, the water used is for feeding only. Water demand reduced on 90%.
4. Saving manpower: No needed of personnel to clean the piggeries everyday.                             
5. Increased of the immunity system so the survival rate of piglets improved.
6. Since no antibiotics is used, there is no antibiotic left in pork, therefore the product is high quality and tasty. Amino acids and other nutritional factors contained in the meat increased by 10-15%.         
7. Profit increased: Cost of feeding, water and medicine reduced by US$16 per pig, so the profit of each gross kilogram has increased by approx. US$0.1.
8. Reusing forest waste (rice hulls, straw used as bedding) the total profit raised to US$16-24 per pig, higher than conventional farming method.                                                                         
9. Zero waste: no dung, no urine in piggeries need to be discharged, protecting the natural environment.
10. Production of high quality organic fertilizer.

 

(Updated in 2009)


 
 

Related Cases